Gregg Books on Google Books

Doing a search I came across Google Books and the Gregg Writer of 1912 in a PDF format.  If it says “Full View” then you can see it in a PDF file.  I’m not sure what it’s about as there are over 700 pages I think… that’s what my Abode says.

is a search I did for Gregg Writer… there might be others doing different searches.

(by debbiavon1 for
everyone)

16 comments Add yours
  1. Wow!

One warning, though, about Google books. It counts the number of pages in each book you read, and stops after an author-chosen number. It's a teaser, so you go buy the book. Not sure how much cache/cookies/etc you need to clear to see more, so don't waste your views.

2. Oh yes that's true. But the one I found, or 2 Gregg books actually were actual downloads.  Below all the information in tiny print it says "full view" in green and those can be downloaded in a PDF file.  So you get the entire book.  That Gregg Writer was several gregg writers, that's why it was over 700 pages.  Debbi

3. I went to the last pages looking for the index. (I also prepare
    back-of-the-book indexes.) But the extensive index begins on page
    eight apparently in place of there being a table of contents.

Richard Harper
    harpersnotes

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Gregg Shorthand
    wrote:
    > New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    > Gregg Books on Google Books
    > Recommend Message 3 in Discussion
    > From: DebbiAvon1
    > Oh yes that's true.
    > But the one I found, or 2 Gregg books actually were actual downloads. Below
    > all the information in tiny print it says "full view" in green and those can
    > be downloaded in a PDF file. So you get the entire book. That Gregg Writer
    > was several gregg writers, that's why it was over 700 pages.
    > Debbi
    > View other groups in this category.
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    > E-mail Settings.
    > Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    > Services.
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    > received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    > the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    > e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    > Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.

4. When you go to the URL there is a "download PDF" option which I did the other night. It's a complete volume of that year's Gregg Writer and very interesting. Early on there's a letter from a Gregg "convert" in Australia who goes on at great length condemning Pitman which he says he spent years not mastering. Be aware that the shorthand (ca. 1912) is very much pre-1916 and pre-Anniversary, but if you're patient (I'd recommend printing it out) there are keys to the shorthand which were printed in the following month's issue. There are quite a few articles and kudos for Swem's remarkable achievements in taking dictation and a photo of him fresh from his contest victories. Fascinating reading for anyone interested in the slow development of Gregg in becoming by the publication of the Anniversary Manual the pre-eminent shorthand method in the U.S.

5. "The Gregg Writer" was a magazine. The download appears to be from a
    book that was mostly a collection of the articles from the magazine,
    around 1912 plus and minus. So there were probably many writers. There
    are adverstisements in the "book" that appear to have been taken
    directly from the magazine. (e.g. Page 735.)

Richard Harper
    harpersnotes

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Gregg Shorthand
    wrote:
    > New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    > Gregg Books on Google Books
    > Recommend Message 3 in Discussion
    > From: DebbiAvon1
    > Oh yes that's true.
    > But the one I found, or 2 Gregg books actually were actual downloads. Below
    > all the information in tiny print it says "full view" in green and those can
    > be downloaded in a PDF file. So you get the entire book. That Gregg Writer
    > was several gregg writers, that's why it was over 700 pages.
    > Debbi
    > View other groups in this category.
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    > E-mail Settings.
    > Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    > Services.
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    > received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    > the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    > e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    > Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.

6. There were some delays between my emailing a post and when it arrives
    on the list. Apologies for any confusion therefrom.

Richard Harper

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Gregg Shorthand
    wrote:
    > New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    > Gregg Books on Google Books
    > Recommend Message 7 in Discussion
    > From: harpersnotes2
    > "The Gregg Writer" was a magazine. The download appears to be from a
    > book that was mostly a collection of the articles from the magazine,
    > around 1912 plus and minus. So there were probably many writers. There
    > are adverstisements in the "book" that appear to have been taken
    > directly from the magazine. (e.g. Page 735.)
    > Richard Harper
    > harpersnotes
    > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Gregg Shorthand
    > wrote:
    >> New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    >> Gregg Books on Google Books
    >> Recommend Message 3 in Discussion
    >> From: DebbiAvon1
    >> Oh yes that's true.
    >> But the one I found, or 2 Gregg books actually were actual downloads.
    >> Below
    >> all the information in tiny print it says "full view" in green and those
    >> can
    >> be downloaded in a PDF file. So you get the entire book. That Gregg Writer
    >> was several gregg writers, that's why it was over 700 pages.
    >> Debbi
    >> View other groups in this category.
    >> To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    >> E-mail Settings.
    >> Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    >> Services.
    >> For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    >> If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    >> received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    >> the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    >> e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    >> Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.
    > View other groups in this category.
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    > E-mail Settings.
    > Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    > Services.
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    > received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    > the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    > e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    > Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.

7. Google is one of the best computers/software/internet companies in the
    world, and possibly the best. So I would be a little surprised if they
    have software glitches but that's what it sounds like. I generally use
    internet explorer, as in this case, and I had no problems with the pdf
    file. There are occasionally glitches when people use Firefox or
    Mozilla or other web browsers. I suspect that is what is happening in
    your case Michael.

Richard Harper

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM, MICHAEL_LISITSA wrote:
    > New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    > Gregg Books on Google Books
    > Reply to Sender Recommend Message 9 in Discussion
    > From: MICHAEL_LISITSA
    > I'm still out of luck. Mine does not say Full View and doesn't allow me any
    > options to download nor view the book.
    > Well… I'm just gonna have to get along with my 18 Gregg Writer magazines
    > that I already have!!!
    > View other groups in this category.
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    > E-mail Settings.
    > Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    > Services.
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    > received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    > the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    > e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    > Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.

8. I'd be making a bet that google only has permission to distribute the book in America and computers from other countries are not allowed. Google Books is still a Beta so maybe Google hasn't yet done contracts with other countries allowing the distribution of such material.

9. …and I'm right!

I looked for a US proxy server and low and behold I can download the file, which I'm currently doing.

Now I'm sure any smart cookie in China could do the same thing in a heartbeat and bypass the censoring that takes place there.

10. Until you said that Michael, it never crossed my mind to try that! I found this site, where you can just enter the web address and it pretends you're from the US without having to mess around with browser options: http://www.varg.org/blue/ I never knew there was such a difference with what google books offers as full downloads, there're hundreds of new shorthand books to explore 🙂 Ian

11. A lot was going on in the year or two leading up to the 1916 edition.
    There started to be a lot of input from many more teachers of
    shorthand -teachers at prestigious institutions. And I think at that
    time the emphasis shifted toward modifying the system for greater and
    greater speed.

"In 1914 the New York Board of Education approved the experimental
    introduction of Gregg Shorthand into its high schools, where the
    Pitman system had long held sway. That same year the system was
    admitted to two prestigious universities, Columbia (New York) and the
    University of California-Berkeley. In 1918 a Gregg student won for the
    first time the National Shorthand Reporters Association contest, the
    "supreme accolade of the reporting profession," according to Cowan.
    Demand for Gregg shorthand classes and textbooks exploded."

From:

Richard Harper

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 5:58 PM, MICHAEL_LISITSA
    wrote:
    > New Message on Gregg Shorthand
    > Gregg Books on Google Books
    > Reply to Sender Recommend Message 14 in Discussion
    > From: MICHAEL_LISITSA
    > Wow this shorthand is really different. The 1916 book must've been a major
    > change of the system.
    > View other groups in this category.
    > To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your
    > E-mail Settings.
    > Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member
    > Services.
    > For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
    > If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you
    > received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On
    > the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your
    > e-mail address will be deleted from this group's mailing list.
    > Remove my e-mail address from Gregg Shorthand.

12. I usually like Google, but I don't like that they've barred certain countries from seeing certain ebooks. I can't access most of the Gregg books that you can here in Australia. There is a way around through proxies but — just a pain.

Thanks. The new one seems to be "Miller Reading and Dictation book." and a copy of the pre-anni manual although it was available beforehand.

Stupid Google.