Here’s a collection of books about teaching shorthand. I thought it might be nice to put these together in one place.
Downloadable .pdf Books
- Method of Teaching Shorthand by Edward McNamara (1914)
- Teaching of Shorthand: Some Suggestions to Young Teachers by John Robert Gregg (1916)
- The American Shorthand Teacher Vol. 1 & 2 edited by John Robert Gregg(1920-33)
- The Educational & Practical Value of the Study of Shorthand by Rupert P. SoRelle (1921)
- Making Shorthand Teaching Effective by John Robert Gregg (1921)
- Gregg Shorthand Junior Manual (1927)
- The Use of the Blackboard in Teaching Shorthand by John Robert Gregg (1928)
- A Course of Study for Teaching Gregg Shorthand for Highschools (1930)
- A Course of Study for Teaching Gregg Shorthand by the Anniversary Manual Method (1930)
- Course of Study in Shorthand for Senior High Schools (1932) — Has lesson plans for both Gregg and Pitman and advice to teachers
- Teacher’s Guide to Gregg Notehand (1960)
- Gregg College Book of Facts (unknown year)
Books You Can Read Online (But Not Download)
- Practical Pointers for Shorthand Students by Frank Rutherford (1904)
- The Measurement of Achievement in Shorthand by Elmer Hoke (1922)
- Shorthand Championship Tests by Walt H. Mechler (1922)
- Lesson Plans in Gregg Shorthand by Lula May Westenhaver (1925)
- A Neglected Factor in Education by George Everett Walk (1926) — This one has info about teaching children shorthand and longhand simultaneously
- Standards in Elementary Shorthand by Frances Raymond (1926)
- Problems of Teaching Shorthand by Paul S. Lomax (1930)
- Teaching Gregg Shorthand by the Analytical Method by Minne Frick (1931)
- Teaching Principles & Procedures for Gregg Shorthand by Etta C. Skene (1932)
- Daily Lesson Plans for Teaching Gregg Shorthand by the Sentence Method, by Meyer E. Zinman, et al (1934)
- Lesson Plans for Teaching Gregg Shorthand by the Direct Method by Ann Brewington, et. al (1943)
- Your First Year of Teaching Shorthand & Transcription by Marion M. Lamb (1961) — Very practical info, esp. in the dictation section
Print Books on Teaching Shorthand
- Methods of Teaching Transcription by Louis Leslie (1949)
- Methods of Teaching Gregg Shorthand by Louis Leslie (1953)
- Shorthand Learning & Instruction by VanHuss, Lambrecht, & Christensen, South-Western Publishing Co. (1980)
- Methods of Teaching Shorthand & Transcription by Crank, Anderson, & Peterson, Gregg Division, McGraw-Hill Book Company (1982)
This is a nice list! Thanks for putting it together. As far as I know, there is no on-line or PDF copy of the Gregg Junior manual.
Thank you so much for putting this together. I opened the first book on the list and was really intrigued by the idea of teaching children shorthand while learning longhand. I want to attempt it with my granddaughter who's fascinated with my shorthand "scribbles."
I was excited by that particular book, too. I would love to find out more, like was it successful? I hope you'll chime in with your own experiments with it!
Teri Washbear, you are a force of nature! I really appreciate the outstanding contributions you've made here, and in so short a time. 🙂
Several more texts have been added to the above list. It is astonishing how many books were published for and about shorthand, and shorthand teaching in particular!
Thanks for the list, Teri. I corrected some of the links and added a menu item above under "Learning Aids" about "Teaching Shorthand" that points to this post.
Awesome! Thanks for the link to that course of study for high school… I swear, I couldn't find that one anywhere when I tried to go back to find it!
Fascinating list. Thank you for posting it Tei.
The one that intrigues me is…..
Teaching Gregg Shorthand by the Analytical Method by Minne Frick (1931)
Carlos….. are you familiar with ? have you read? this book. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts …..
Or from anyone else who has read it….
This was a follow-up to Analytical Lessons in Gregg Shorthand from 1924, which was of course the Pre-Anni period. Both books are very unique in their approach—I want to say "eccentric"—and yes very analytical.
Both are well worth acquiring, though they can be hard to find.
Mrs. Frick wrote another self-published text entitled Talk and Take Gregg Shorthand which I posted here: greggshorthand.blogspot.com/2011/08/talk-and-take-gregg-shorthand.html
The glossary included in her 1924 text is here: greggshorthand.blogspot.com/2011/06/shorthand-terms-glossary-by-md-frick.html
(This was in follow-up to Prof. Cury's excellent "Shorthand Terminology" – greggshorthand.blogspot.com/2011/06/shorthand-terminology.html
As a side note, Mrs. Frick also wrote a "Talk and Take" for Thomas Natural Shorthand.
She was born Minnie DeMotte Holt in Iowa on November 3, 1874 and taught secretarial sciences for a number of years at Oregon State College. She died in California on April 12, 1954 at age 79.
Two other books by the great Louis Leslie:
Methods of Teaching Transcription 1949
Methods of Teaching Gregg Shorthand 1953
Neither is online, but they're fairly easy to come by used.
I updated this list with a couple of more books that may be of interest.
Teri, thank you very much for compiling such a useful list, and finding links. 🙂
Here is one more:
Lesson Plans in Gregg Shorthand, by Lula May Westenhaver, from 1925. It can be viewed at hathitrust. Download is one page at a time.
Oooh, that looks like a good one! Lots of hand-holding for beginning teachers. Thanks for posting!
Two additional books about the teaching of shorthand include the following, which were the last published books on this topic. Both of them can be purchased easily online (ebay, etc.):
SHORTHAND LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION by VanHuss, Lambrecht, & Christensen, South-Western Publishing Co., 1980
METHODS OF TEACHING SHORTHAND AND TRANSCRIPTION by Crank, Anderson, & Peterson, Gregg Division, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1982
Thanks for this! I'll add them to the list! Nice to see something more recent, in fact!